Happy Birthday Moodle!!!
As Moodle is 10 years old today, I thought I would share some Moodly stuff!
10 things about Moodle
- The 1st Moodle Research Conference is taking place at Heraklion, Crete on the 14-15 September, 2012.
- 27 people make up Moodle HQ
- There are 54 Official Moodle Partners spread over 33 Countries.
- Over 250 people have contributed code to Moodle core, 19 to Moodle 1.0.x Version, 105 people to Moodle 2.3.x
- 19 standard themes come with Moodle, and there is twice that many themes (38) added by the community to the Plugins Database
- There are 38 blocks in Moodle core, and 95 blocks in the Plugin database (out of 335 contributed plugins)
- 17977 Language strings in Moodle 2.3, and 110 Language packs available – 24 with more than 80% translated
- There are 251 courses in the Moodle open community hub (MOOCH)- 134 that users can Enrol in, 117 that users can download
- The top 5 countries with registered Moodle sites out of 215 countries are United States, Spain, Brazil, United Kingdom, Germany
- And according to Ohloh, Moodle has had 55,614 commits made by 319 contributors representing 1,030,183 lines of code – Yes, that is over 1 million.
If I was a good graphic artist I would love to have made this an infographic, and I may try, but if there is one web-design role I cannot do is the graphics part! So if someone out there can do it, go for it!
Some others things using 10, I am sure each list could be more than 10, but in keeping with 10th birthday just trying to have 10ish in lists!
10 of most read Moodle 2 plugin reviews on this blog in the last quarter
- Book Module
- LTI Provider
- Skydrive Repository Plugin for 2.3
- Question type Drag and Drop Marker
- Configurable Reports
- Course Menu Block
- ELIS for Moodle 2
10 things about Moodle 2.3
- Book Module is core
- Courses can now choose to show sections on individual pages
- Rewrite of Assignment activity
- Drag and drop upload
- Quick Edit of activity names
- Activity chooser
- File Alias/Shortcuts
- Add/remove sections from course page
- Workshop automatic phase switching
- Admins receive notifications of available update to core/plugins they use
10 Upcoming Moodlemoots & Conferences
- MoodleMoot Romania 2012, Aug 20-26
- Swiss Moodlemoot, Sept 7-8
- 1st Moodle Research Conference, Sept 14-15
- MoodleMoot Brazil 2012, Sept 19-22
- MoodleMoot Spain 2012, Sept 19-21
- MoodleMoot Hong Kong 2012, Sept 20-22
- MoodleMoot Italia 2012, Oct 5-6
- West Balkan and Serbian MoodleMoot, Nov. 17
- Canada MoodleMoot 2013, Feb 12-15
- Moodlemoot Dublin 2013, Feb 18-21
10 Moodle 2 books
- Moodle 2.0 First Look
- Moodle 2.0 for Business Beginner’s Guide
- Moodle 2.0 E-Learning Course Development
- Moodle 2 for Teaching 4-9 Year Olds Beginner’s Guide
- Moodle 2 Administration
- Moodle 2.0 Course Conversion
- Moodle Gradebook
- Moodle 2 for Teaching 7-14 Year Olds
- Science Teaching with Moodle 2.0
- Moodle 2.0 Multimedia Cookbook
10 Moodle Docs pages
- Managing a Moodle course
- Installing Moodle
- Moodle Roadmap
- Moodle key terms
- Developer Docs
10 things you can do with Moodle
- Teach & Learn
- Share content
Nearly 10 Official Moodle Twitter accounts
- @moodle – Moodle News & Useful Posts
- @moodledev – Automated information about Moodle development.
- @moodlemooch – Moodle.org Open Community Hub
- @moodlesecurity – Moodle security announcements
- @moodleplugins – Info on recently released plugins for Moodle.
- @moodlethemes – Info on recently released themes for Moodle.
- @moodlejobs – Moodle-related jobs offered
(I can’t find the other official non-people ones – am I missing some?)
A nice Moodler Piotr Peszko from http://www.eduninja.com/ has taken some of the above info to create a cool infographic -> http://blog.2edu.pl/2012/08/moodle-is-10-years-old-infographic.html
Be sure to check out his blog which has some good stuff on it, or follow him on twitter @piotrpeszko
Over to You…
Ok, so I ran out of lists of 10 things, what ones would you add?
This work by Gavin Henrick is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.